Friday, May 11, 2007

I open the door to my son's room. He is still bundled underneath his blankets. "Good morning," I say, knowing that he has probably overslept.

"What time is it?" he asks, as he sits up quickly.

"8:20," I say.

He looks confused for a minute, most likely thinking about what, if anything, he has missed, in class, this morning, by oversleeping. "Can you take me to school, in a bit?" he asks me.

"Of course," I say. I smile and shut the door.

A week from today, Friday, high school is over for my son. Now that the end is here, it is amazing how fast that it has come. Missing a class, this morning, will not stop my son from graduating; he knows it and I know it. One hour will not alter what he has worked for for years.

Enjoy the sleep, my son, you have earned it.

No comments: